세미나 Seminars

Extra Form
초청강사 이 인 수 교수
소속 포스텍 화학과
일시 2015년 4월 30일(목) 오후5시
장소 아산이학관 331호
Fabrication of Hollow Nanoparticles for Nanoreactor and Biomedical Applications

Abstract: 
  Hollow inorganic nanoparticles, which have an interior cavity enclosed by an inorganic shell of nanosized thickness, have been receiving a lot of recent attention due to their distinct characteristics that are advantageous in a variety of biomedical and catalysis applications. Their hollow interior structure can be used to selectively encapsulate and release the guest molecules and carry the high payload of the functional molecules at the large surface area, which therefore enriches their potential in the emerging fields such as nanoreactor, drug delivery vehicle, contrast agent for molecular imaging, and energy and gas storage material. 
  In the first part of this seminar, I will discuss the fabrication of the nanoreactor systems based on the hollow nanospheres which encapsulate catalytic species inside the permeable porous shell of chemically inert materials. I will explain our “nanocrystal conversion chemistry” strategy to transform pre-synthesized nanocrystals into targeted hollow nanostructures via either solid-state or suspension-based reactions. The void space of the resulted hollow nanosphere was catalytically functionalized by immobilizing precious metal nanocrystals selectively at the interior surface. I will also present the successful employment of the catalytically functionalized hollow nanospheres for the high-concentration syntheses of metal nanocrystals and the substrate-selective catalytic reactions (Figure 1). The second part of this seminar will present our recent researches with hollow manganese oxide nanoparticles (HMON) which show the greatly enhanced MRI relaxivities and drug loading capacity, comparing with those having solid interior. I will discuss the development of a platform protocol based on the HMON for fabricating target-specific multimodality imaging probes for T1 weighted MR imaging (Figure 2). Their well-directed characteristics as a target specific imaging agent, including a successful in-vivo T1 contrast MRI diagnosis of cancer tissue, will be demonstrated.