Extra Form
초청강사 Ardalan Armin 교수
소속 Department of Physics, Swansea University
일시 2023년 11월 16일(목) 오후 4시 30분
장소 아산이학관 331호

Relationship between exciton and charge dynamics in

organic blends through nano-morphology

Abstract: 

Exciton diffusion plays a vital role in determining the power conversion efficiency in organic semiconductor based solar cells through controlling the efficiency of exciton splitting [1]. However, measurements of diffusion length in organic semiconductors requires specialized equipment and expertise [2, 3]. Measurements of exciton splitting efficiencies rely upon quenching experiments prone to erratic errors and large uncertainties. In this presentation I will introduce a quasi-steady state technique to measure exciton diffusion lengths in organic semiconductors, named pulsed-PLQY [4]. Further, I will show how this technique can be utilized in bulk heterojunctions to measure the efficiency of exciton splitting and, also the difficult-to-measure-domain-size.[5] Finally, I will discuss the relationships between nanoscale exciton dynamics and the enhanced charge carrier dynamics seen in state-or-the-art non-fullerene organic solar cells.

The long diffusion lengths measured in non-fullerene acceptor based organic solar cells [3, 4] support large domain sizes while maintaining high exciton splitting efficiencies. These increased domain sizes can lead to large reductions in bimolecular recombination [5, 6], further impacting the efficiency of devices. Lastly, I will discuss the relationship between the enhanced charge carrier dynamics seen in state-of-the art non-fullerene organic solar cells [7] and improved exciton dynamics, enabled by the nano-morphology of the bulk heterojunction.

References:

[1] D. B. Riley, P. Meredith, A. Armin and O. J. Sandberg, "Role of Exciton Diffusion and Lifetime in Organic Solar Cells with a Low Energy Offset," The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 13, pp. 4402-4409., 2022. 

[2] P. Shaw, A. Ruseckas and I. Samuel, "Exciton diffusion measurements in poly (3‐hexylthiophene)," Advanced Materials, vol. 20, no. 18, pp. 3516-3520, 2008. 

[3] Y. e. a. Firdaus, "Long-range exciton diffusion in molecular non-fullerene acceptors," Nature communications, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 2020. 

[4] D B Riley,  et al. "Quasi-steady-state measurement of exciton diffusion lengths in organic semiconductors." Physical Review Applied 17.2 (2022): 024076. 

[5] D B Riley,  et al. "Efficient Nanoscale Exciton Transport in Non‐fullerene Organic Solar Cells Enables Reduced Bimolecular Recombination of Free Charges." Advanced Materials (2023): 2211174.

[6] M. Heiber, "Encounter-limited charge-carrier recombination in phase-separated organic semiconductor blends," Physical review letters, vol. 114, 2015. 

[7] W Li, "Organic solar cells with near-unity charge generation yield," Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 6484-6493, 2021.

20231116_대학원세미나_Ardalan Armin 교수.pdf